As part of the objectives, we have organized and sponsored multiple workshops and events to benefit local veterans. We are organizing a follow-up workshop for spring, 2016 and are planning a large, regional workshop that will involve all recognized leaders and healers in this field, to be held in 2017.
- Actively recruit, train and partner with churches, veterans’ organizations, health care professionals and others willing to serve the warriors who served them, collectively becoming known as the faith-based auxiliary resource for all veterans. (This objective is underway.)
- Build a community-based support system to provide veterans with the resources, mentoring, encouragement and opportunities to transform themselves and return to their communities. (We have begun this objective.)
- Identify and engage morally injured veterans. The challenge is to overcome their traditional, documented tendencies to “man up” and retreat within themselves until they no longer can face life. (We have begun this effort, and are working with other veteran support groups locally and in the Midwest.)
- Educate and support veterans’ families and help them understand their returning warriors and transform themselves to accept, honor and transform the warriors. (Will begin with the Sept. 22 workshop.)
- Identify and train mentors and “elders” who will work with veterans individually and in small groups to hear their stories, identify needed resources and support, and walk with them on their transformational pathway to re-integrate into their home communities. (We have begun identifying potential mentors, are working with other groups to develop our training program, and will begin mentor training in October, 2015).